SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate (you've made, oh, at least 3 projects)
* muumuu, dress, or nightgown that is too big for you
* sewing machine
* matching thread
* clear plastic ruler (or piece of cardboard or printer paper if you don’t have it)
* tailor’s chalk or pencil (or regular pencil if you don’t have it)
BEFORE PICS (sad faces!)
1. Try the dress on inside out.
2. Fit under the arms on both sides: Place a pin vertically through both side seam layers to mark. Fit test: you should be able to move your arms comfortably.
3. Decide the length (optional): Fold the hem up until you find a length that you like. Pin in the front in a few spots to hold it in place. Fit test: stand up straight, and look in a full length mirror. Hint: get it to hit the slimmest part of your thigh for the most flattering look, or just wherever you want you don’t care about such things.
4. Marking and cutting the hem (optional):
a. Put a pin in the crease that marks the final length. Measure ¾” (for the double hem fold back) below this point and mark this spot with your tailor’s chalk.
b. Take the pins out of the hem area, and lay the muumuu flat, still inside out. Measure the distance from the mark to the existing hem (or cut a piece of cardboard or paper to size- you might have to tape several together). This distance is the hem length
c. Moving around the hem, mark hem length.
d. Cut along the marks.
5. Sewing the side seam:
a. On the bottom of both side seams, measure ¾” up from the hem. Mark with tailor’s chalk.
b. Using your ruler (or straight edge of cardboard), draw a straight line from the point where you pinned under the armpit to the mark ¾” from the hem.
c. Sew along this line. Cut off excess fabric on the side seam, leaving 3/8”. d. If you like, clean-finish the seam by pressing the seam allowance towards the back, and zigzag stitch over the seam allowance on the front side.
6. Sewing the hem:
a. Fold the hem up 3/8” towards the backside. Sew ¼” from the edge (you can use the foot as your guide).
b. Fold the hem again 3/8”. Stitch on the correct side with a zigzag stitch.
7. Making the cap sleeve (optional):
a. Turn the muumuu inside out.
b. Measure 3” (approximate guideline- see what will look best on your dress-this is where the bottom of the sleeve begins) up from the armpit/side seam on front. Mark with a pin.
c. Measure 2.5" (approximate guideline- this is the length of your sleeve- look at this with the muumuu on and see where you'd like it to hit) from shoulder seam down outside edge of sleeve. Mark with a pin.
d. Draw a gently curved line between these points.
e. Cut around line. At bottom of sleeve, cut ¼” from sleeve seam.
f. Fold back ¼” all around, and sew with narrow zigzag stitch.
8. Finishing touch: If you want, you can make a belt out of the excess fabric you cut from the hem. I just folded it back 1/4" on all sides and zigzagged around. Mary appliqued on top of hers and added a fat belt for extra style.
questions, grasshopper? Send an etsy conversation to HeyMichelle and I'll help you get on the path to muumuu-dom.